Applications may be submitted at any time. However, it is advisable for students to apply before early April in order to be considered for most University scholarships and awards.
International student applications should be completed at least five months before the desired date of entry in order to allow for delays.
If you wish to apply, please complete an online application form.
The application fee of $100 must be accompanied with the application. Please note that the application fee is non-refundable and should be paid in Canadian dollars. The payment can be made using a credit card, cheque drawn on a Canadian bank and made payable to McMaster University, through email money transfer, or by online interact payment.
Cheques should include a $15 processing fee to total $115.
The following documents are required before your online application is considered complete. These documents should be sent to the admissions office:
- One official transcript of academic work completed to date, sent directly from the issuing institution. If the final transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, please ensure that an official copy of your diploma accompanies your application.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from instructors most familiar with your academic work. Recommendations must be provided to the admissions office directly from the instructors.
- If English is not your native language, an official copy of your TOEFL score, or other evidence of competency in English. A minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 80 (550 on the paper-based TOEFL test or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL test) is needed for the Faculty of Engineering.
- A statement of interest indicating why you wish to pursue a Master of Engineering Design. A graduate of a university outside Canada may also be required to submit a description of undergraduate and graduate courses taken in the field of specialization and in cognate fields.
- Applicants with a Bachelor of Technology degree need to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score reports. GRE score reports are to be sent directly to the GMC Centre for Engineering Design. Minimum required scores are 550 on the Verbal test, 550 on the Qualitative test, 1200 on the Verbal and Quantitative tests combined, and 3.5 on Analytical Writing.
- Deadline dates for receipt of application for MED:
Domestic - August 1, 2013
International - June 15, 2013